NATO intervening in Syrian conflict – Russian diplomat
7 December, 2012 — RT
Russia’s ambassador to NATO criticized the Western military alliance for its planned deployment of Patriot missiles on the Turkey-Syria border, saying the move threatens to increase hostilities.
After dismissing the idea that Syria was interested in “fanning tension on the border” with Turkey, Alexander Grushko said the proposed deployment of US-made Patriot missile defense systems indicated that NATO “is getting involved in the conflict after all.”
Grushko, speaking in Brussels on Friday by a TV linkup, warned against NATO’s potential involvement in the Syrian conflict, which would be sparked by “possible incidents” on the Turkey-Syria border.
“We see the danger of the further involvement of NATO in the developments in Syria as a result of provocations or some incidents on the [Turkey-Syria] border,” Grushko said.
Earlier this week, NATO foreign ministers approved Turkey‘s request for the deployment of Patriot air defense batteries on Turkey’s border with Syria.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said that the deployment would be “purely defensive,” and that the Western military bloc has “no intention to prepare offensive operations.”
In a jab at NATO, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov recently said that “Syria is not Libya.”
Istanbul defended its request for the advanced weapon systems by pointing to the recent shelling of its territory from Syria.
Several hundred NATO service members are planned to be stationed in Turkey to service the missile systems.
Possibly Related (auto-generated)
- Russian Advanced Weapons for Syria: Unrevealed Secrets of Vladimir Putin’s Recent Visit to London
- ‘A Political Ploy’? The Guardian Editors Swallow US Claims On Syrian WMD By David Edwards
- A tipping point in Syrian conflict BY Melkulangara BHADRAKUMAR
- The Forbidden Truth: The U.S. is Channeling Chemical Weapons to Al Qaeda in Syria, Obama is a Liar and a Terrorist By Prof Michel Chossudovsky
- Military Escalation? Sapping Assad’s Strength. Israel “Stirs the Pot” in Syria By Jonathon Cook
- The Chemical Weapons Pretext for War on Syria: A Pack of Lies By Ben Schreiner
- Sarin gas is as volatile as Washington’s promises by Thierry Meyssan
- Video: Former French Minister of Foreign Affairs: “…Britain had been preparing gunmen to invade Syria two years before the crisis there flared up in 2011…”
- Deleted Daily Mail Online Article: “US Backed Plan for Chemical Weapon Attack in Syria to Be Blamed on Assad”
- Families of Lebanese hostages to file complaint against John McCain