People’s Assembly Against Austerity
013, 9:30am – 5pm,
Central Hall Westminster, Storey’s Gate, London, SW1H 9NH
email@example.com | 07872 481769 | Click here to register
Launched with a letter in today’s Guardian, 55 trade union general secretaries, MPs, campaigners, and cultural figures have put out a call for a People’s Assembly Against Austerity.
The assembly aims to “play a key role in ensuring that this uncaring government faces a movement of opposition broad enough and powerful enough to generate successful co-ordinated action, including strike action.” See the full text of the letter here.
The letter is signed by:
Tony Benn President, Coalition of Resistance; Len McCluskey General secretary, Unite the Union; Mark Serwotka General secretary, PCS; Christine Blower General secretary, NUT; Michelle Stanistreet General secretary, NUJ; Manuel Cortez General secretary, TSSA; Billy Hayes General secretary, CWU; Bob CrowGeneral secretary, RMT; Mick Whelan General secretary, Aslef; Kevin Courtney Deputy general secretary, NUT; Paul Mackney Former general secretary Natfhe (now UCU); Vicky Baars NUS union development;Kevin Donnelly Trade Union Council JCC; Caroline Lucas MP; Katy Clark MP; Jeremy Corbyn MP; John McDonnell MP; Murad Qureshi London assembly member; Dawn Butler Former Labour minister for young citizens and youth engagement; Tariq Ali Author; John Pilger Journalist; Ken Loach Filmmaker; Owen JonesWriter; James Meadway Senior economist, New Economics Foundation; Wendy Savage & John Lipetz Keep our NHS Public; John Hendy QC Co-chair, People’s Charter; John Hilary Director, War on Want; Sam Fairbairn National secretary, Coalition of Resistance; Imran Khan Solicitor, co-chair, People’s Charter;Rachael Newton People’s Charter; Romayne Phoenix Chair, Coalition of Resistance; Zita Holbourne Co-chair, Black activists rising against the cuts; Clare Solomon Vice-chair, Coalition of Resistance; Andrew Burgin Vice-chair, Coalition of Resistance; Colin Hampton Co-ordinator, National Unemployed Workers Centres Combine; Anita Wright Secretary, National Association of Women; Joginder Bains Association of Indian Women; Shang Gahonia Indian Workers Association; Carolin Jones Director, Institute of Employment Rights; Lindsey German Convenor, Stop the War Coalition; Kate Hudson General secretary, CND; Bruce Kent Peace campaigner; Lee Hall Playwright; Roger Lloyd Pack Actor; Josie Long Comedian; Iain BanksAuthor; Arthur Smith Comedian; Roy Bailey Folk singer; Francesca Martinez Comedian; John ReesCounterfire editorial board; Natalie Bennett Leader of the Green Party England and Wales; Fred LeplatSocialist Resistance; Robert Griffiths General secretary, Communist Party of Britain; Bill Greenshields Chair, Communist Party of Britain; Richard Bagley Editor, Morning Star
Here’s how you can help:
- Register for the event: click here.
- Post the Guardian letter on Facebook, tweet it and circulate it around any social media sites and any email lists you may have.
- Take a copy of this model motion to any trade union, student union or campaign group that may be interested in supporting the Assembly and pledging to send delegates to it.
- Add your name, your union branch or organisation to the growing list of supporters on our website here.
- Contact any people who might support the Assembly and send them a copy of the motion asking them to try and pass it in their union branch or organisation.
- Make sure someone from your group/area attends the Coalition of Resistance National Council meeting this Sunday 10 February, 12-4pm, Unite offices, Theobald’s Rd, London WC1. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.