Stop Ben & Jerry’s Complicity with the Israeli Occupation
15 March 2013 – VTJP
These pints of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream were made in Israel and marketed in illegal Jewish-only settlements in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
Help us stop this unethical business practice.
Vermonters for a Just Peace in Palestine/Israel (http://www.vtjp.org) will launch on March 14, 2013, an international campaign calling on Ben & Jerry’s, a socially responsible Vermont company that makes premium ice cream, to take the following measures until Israel terminates its occupation and colonization of Palestinian lands in compliance with international law:
Until Israel ends its occupation and colonization of Palestinian lands in compliance with international law:
- End the marketing, catering and sales of Ben & Jerry’s products in Israel and Jewish-only settlements in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
- Stop manufacturing ice cream in Israel.
- Issue a statement (a) calling on Israel to end its occupation and settlement enterprise and (b) appealing directly to other socially responsible companies to do likewise and to cease business operations in Israel and its illegal settlements.
We need your endorsement and support.
In 2011, a member of our organization visited supermarkets in three Israeli settlements and an Israeli industrial park in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, and documented that Ben & Jerry’s is selling ice cream there. This person also learned that “party carts” from the company’s factory in Kiryat Malachi cater privately to settlers. Ben & Jerry’s announced plans in 2010 to open 16 new scoop shops in Israel. In other words, as Israel’s occupation grinds on, Ben & Jerry’s is deepening its investment in the country and selling in settlements built on stolen Palestinian land. You can read our investigative report on Ben & Jerry’s athttp://www.vtjp.org/icecream.
Ben & Jerry’s business in Israel and Occupied Palestine violates the company’s famous Social Mission [http://www.benjerry.com/activism/mission-statement/], which commits it to advance the cause of peace and justice and to show adeep respect for human beings “inside and outside the company.” That mission cannot be reconciled with Israel’s occupation, settlement regime and transgressions of international law. We have engaged the company since March, 2011, without success. More voices and activism are needed now. Here is how you can help:
- Please endorse our campaign. Notify us of an endorsement by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Sign our petition hosted by the U.S. Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
- Send an e-mail of protest to Ben & Jerry’s CEO Jostein Solheim at http://www.vtjp.org/icecream/petition.php.
- Leaflet at Ben & Jerry’s scoop shops on “Free Cone Day” this spring. We’ll let you know when it is. VTJP has prepared a leaflet for the occasion. Go to: http://www.vtjp.org/icecream/freecone-trifold.pdf.
- Invite VTJP to make a presentation in your community. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate to our campaign. Send a check to Peace & Justice Center, 60 Lake St., #1C Burlington, VT 05401. IMPORTANT: Write “VTJP” in the memo line.