29 March 2017 — Housmans
1. Pluto Press Takeover
2. ‘The Punk Kings of Dyslexia’ with Stephen Micalef
3. ‘Sound System: The Political Power of Music’ with Dave Randall
4. ‘Free Movement and Beyond: Agenda Setting for Brexit Britain’ with Kate Hudson
5. ‘The Political Thought of Abdullah Öcalan – Kurdistan, Women’s Revolution And Democratic Confederalism’ with Dr Kamran Matin, Dilar Dirik, and Reimer Heider
6. ‘Voices from the “Jungle” – Stories From The Calais Refugee Camp’
7. ‘Signal Failure: London to Birmingham, HS2 on foot’ with Tom Jeffreys
8. ‘Surviving The Future: culture, carnival, and capital in the aftermath of the market economy’ with Shaun Chamberlin Continue reading this...
31 January 2017 — Housmans
1. Supporting Haven Distribution’s Books to Prisoners work
2. ‘Training for Exploitation’, book launch with the Precarious Workers Brigade
3.‘A People’s History of the Russian Revolution’ with Neil Faulkner
4. Locomotrix presents SEESAW with Serena Braida, Livia Franchini, Gloria Sanders, and Vera Chok
5. Capitalism’s Next Crisis? Michael Roberts on ‘Trumponomics’
6. ‘1956: John Saville, E.P. Thompson and The Reasoner’ with Paul Flewers
Continue reading this...
11 January 2017 — Housmans
TARIQ ALI + JANET HODGSON (1960 – 2016) BOOKSALE
On Thursday 12th January, from 10am onwards, we will be kicking off a huge sale of second-hand and new books, as donated by the writer Tariq Ali and the estate of the artist Janet Hodgson.
Tariq Ali has very generously donated some 1,000 books, featuring many recent publications from Verso Books, as well as a wide range of other political titles, with a particular concentration of works focusing on the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. Most of these titles will be on display on the central tables, upstairs in the shop, priced at around £3. Other £1 titles of Tariq’s will be in our £1 basement.
Janet Hodgson was an artist whose work explored the interactions of time, history and language. She was a supporter of Housmans throughout her life, and we thank her family for donating her book collection to us. Janet’s books are primarily on art and art-theory, and will be put out on the central tables downstairs in the Vaults. Please do have a read of Janet’s obituary, as printed in the Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/apr/15/janet-hodgson-obituary
10 October 2016 — — Global Research
THE END OF THE REPUBLIC AND THE DELUSION OF EMPIRE by James Petras. 2016, Clarity Press Reviewed by Professor Edward Curtin
Very few public intellectuals pull no punches in their analyses of world affairs. James Petras is one of them. Possessed of a brilliant and capacious mind that grasps global events in a comprehensive and interconnected way, he also writes with a moral urgency befitting our dangerous historical moment. He reminds me of C. Wright Mills, another brilliant sociologist whose warnings went unheeded more than fifty years ago.
28 July 2016 — Housmans Books
1. Cally Road Pop Up Zine Shop
2. ‘The City: London and the Global Power of Finance’ with Tony Norfield
3. ‘An Unreliable Guide to London’ with readers Tim Burrows, Juliet Jacques, Stephen Thompson + editors Gary Budden, Kit Caless
4. ‘Social-Democracy and Anarchism: In the International Workers’ Association, 1864-1877’ with René Berthier
5. ‘Betraying a Generation: How Education is Failing Young People’ with Patrick Ainley
6. ‘The 21st Century Revolution: A Call to Greatness’ with Bruce Nixon
7. ‘The Truth About Trident: Disarming The Nuclear Argument’ with Timmon Wallis
Continue reading this...