15 March 2012 — PCHR Palestinian Centre for Human Rights LTD (non-profit)
Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) Continue Systematic Attacks against Palestinian Civilians and Property in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT), and Launch a New Offensive on the Gaza Strip
· IOF launched a new offensive on the Gaza Strip.
– Israeli warplanes launched 36 air strikes, during which they fired 43 missiles.
– 24 Palestinians, including a child, a woman and two old men, were killed.
– The victims include the Secretary-General of the Popular Resistance Committees, who was extra-judicially executed.
– 74 Palestinians, 59 of whom are civilians, including 16 children and 7 women, were wounded.
– At least 32 houses, a school, a center of Palestine Red Crescent Society and a workshop were damaged.
·A Palestinian child was killed and another one was seriously wounded and arrested by IOF in Yatta town, south of Hebron.
· IOF have continued to use force against peaceful protests in the West Bank.
– Two Palestinian civilians were wounded.
– Dozens of protesters suffered from tear gas inhalation.
· IOF conducted 56 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank.
– IOF arrested 11 Palestinians, including two children.
– The detainees include two Palestinians who were released in the context of the latest prisoners swap between Israeli and Palestinian resistance groups.
· Israel has continued to impose a total closure on the OPT and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the outside world.
– Israeli soldiers arrested 3 Palestinian civilians, including a child, at various checkpoints in the West Bank.
· IOF have continued settlement activities in the West Bank and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property.
– IOF demolished a car wash facility in Housan village, west of Bethlehem.
– Israeli settlers uprooted 40 olive trees in Qaryout village, southeast of Nablus.
– Israeli settlers uprooted and confiscated 240 saplings in Sa’ir village, northeast of Hebron.
– IOF razed areas of Palestinian agricultural land in Bourin village, south of Nablus.
Israeli violations of international law and humanitarian law in the OPT continued during the reporting period (08 – 14 March 2012):
Israeli Offensive on the Gaza Strip
On Friday evening, 09 March 2012, IOF initiated a new offensive on the Gaza Strip, which continued until Monday evening, 12 March 2012, as a new Egyptian-brokered Tahdey’a (lull) was reached between IOF and Palestinian resistance groups. During this offensive, IOF killed 24 Palestinians, including the Secretary-General and a leader of the Popular Resistance Committees, who was extra-judicially executed by an air strike. The victims include also 4 civilians (two old men, a woman and a child). Additionally, 74 Palestinians were wounded, 59 are civilians, including 16 children and 7 women. During this offensive, IOF launched a series of air strikes targeting Palestinian resistance activists and civilian facilities.
In the West Bank, on 08 March 2012, IOF killed a Palestinian child and seriously wounded and arrested another one in Yatta town, south of Hebron. IOF moved into the town to arrest a Palestinian who was released from Israeli jails in the recent prisoners swap between IOF and Palestinian resistance groups. IOF claimed that soldiers opened fire “after a Palestinian had stabbed a soldier.”
During the reporting period, IOF used excessive force to disperse peaceful demonstrations organized in protest to Israeli settlement activities and the construction of the annexation wall in the West Bank. As a result, two Palestinian civilian were wounded, and dozens of Palestinian civilians and international human rights defenders suffered from tear gas inhalation. IOF also arrested a Palestinian civilian and an international human rights defender.
The full report is available online at:
For further information please visit our website (http://www.pchrgaza.org) or contact PCHR’s office in Gaza City, Gaza Strip by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (+972 (0)8 2824776 – 2825893).
*Office Hours are between 08:00 – 16:00 hours (05:00 GMT – 13:00 GMT) Sun – Thurs.