4 April 2019 — Sustainable Pulse
31 March 2019 — RT America
This week Monsanto/Bayer AG was ordered by a California federal court to pay $80 million to Edwin Hardeman after a jury found its weed killer, Roundup, caused his cancer. The case is just one of thousands of lawsuits filed against the company over plaintiff’s use of the glyphosate-based herbicide. In 2015, the World Health Organization classified glyphosate as probably carcinogenic to humans. The Food and Drug Administration has concluded the herbicide is not likely carcinogenic to humans. In August 2018, a jury in California state court awarded a school’s groundskeeper, Dewayne Johnson, nearly $289 million in damages. The verdict was later reduced to $78 million and is on appeal. In this conversation with Chris Hedges, environmental activist and author, Vandana Shiva, talks about Monsanto/Bayer AG and other big AG players interests in India and her fight to protect life forms, seed varieties and farmers.
23 March 2019 — A Sheep No More
We have never seen catastrophic flooding like this, and the NOAA is now telling us that there will be more major flooding for at least two more months. On Thursday, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration warned that “historic, widespread flooding” would “continue through May”.
24 March 2019 — Dr Mercola
- Our chemical and fossil fuel-intensive system of industrial agriculture is belching out 43 to 57 percent of the greenhouse gas pollution that has dangerously destabilized our climate
- The driving force of Big Food Inc. and their army of chemical farmers, food processors and marketers is the idea that maximizing short-term profits trumps all other considerations, including health, economic justice, animal welfare, environment and climate stability
- CAFOs are primary drivers of deteriorating public health as well. Filthy, inhumane, polluting factory farms mass produce approximately 90 to 95 percent of the meat and animal products consumed in America today
- Use of antibiotics on factory farms spreads antibiotic-resistant pathogens into our food, and an average of 90,000 Americans now die from antibiotic-resistant infections on an outpatient basis every year, according to the latest calculations by Cambridge University researchers
- To end this degenerate food system, join the growing movement and consumer boycott of all factory-farmed meat, dairy and poultry products, not just at the grocery store, but in restaurants as well — and not just occasionally, but every day
By Ronnie Cummins
19 March 2019 — Climate & Capitalism
Forget jokes about crossing the road. New research identifies chickens as a vivid symbol of the transformation of the biosphere in our time
Continuing our series on metabolic rifts
by Ian Angus
How will future geologists recognize the Anthropocene? What features of the geological record will enable them to say that a particular layer of rock or sediment was formed after the Holocene ended?
18 March 2019 — True Publica
By Lawrence Carter – Unearthed: US agribusiness lobby calls on Trump to target UK food and environment rules in Brexit trade deal. American agriculture interests have flooded the US government’s trade agency with demands to pressure the UK into slashing food standards after Brexit, official documents show.
12 March 2019 — Climate & Capitalism
Healthy people, healthy planet
A food system revolution is urgently needed, to provide healthy diets for all while preventing irreversible damage to the Earth System.
A key element of any ecosocialist program must be a global drive to end hunger and malnutrition, combined with a shift to sustainable agriculture. To date, however, we have not carefully considered just what those transformations would involve.
2 March 2019 — New Eastern Outlook
Recent independent scientific studies indicate that we are threatening our vital global insect population, including of bees, with widespread extinction through massive deployment of agriculture pesticides. For most of us, insects such as flies or mosquitoes or wasps are nuisances to be avoided. Yet if the latest studies are any indication, we may be in danger of massive elimination of vital insects that maintain nature’s balance. The consequences to life on this planet are only now beginning to be seriously considered.
1 March 2019 — Dissident Voice
In January 2019, campaigner Dr Rosemary Mason lodged a complaint with the European Ombudsman accusing European regulatory agencies of collusion with the agrochemicals industry. This was in the wake of an important paper by Charles Benbrook on the genotoxicity of glyphosate-based herbicides that appeared in the journal Environmental Sciences Europe.
26 February 2019 — New Eastern Outlook
Since the 1960s uproar over the dangers of widespread agriculture use of the weed killer, DDT, no other herbicide or agriculture chemical has stirred as much widespread opposition as glyphosate. Glyphosate is the main and only publicly disclosed ingredient in the world-leading herbicide, Roundup from Monsanto/Bayer. With fierce opposition from many EU member states, in 2018 owing to a sly maneuver by the former German Minister of Agriculture, the EU Commission ruled to continue allowing the controversial pesticide. Now recent tests have added to the body of evidence that glyphosate is carcinogenic and should be banned immediately.