17 January 2019 — PCHR
- Israeli forces continued to use excessive force against the peaceful protestors in the Gaza Strip
- A woman and a child were killed during the 42nd week of the Return and Breaking the Siege March.
- 143 civilians, including 34 children, 3 women, 3 journalists, and 3 paramedics, were wounded; the injury of 3 of them were reported serious.
- Seven civilians, including 2 journalists and a paramedic, were wounded, in the West Bank
- Israeli forces continued to open fire at the border areas in the Gaza Strip, but no casualties were reported.
- Israeli warplanes fired 9 missiles at checkpoints belonging to the Palestinian armed groups and empty lands.
- Israeli forces conducted 100 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank and 2 limited incursions into the northern Gaza Strip.
- 73 civilians, including 10 children, were arrested.
- 11 of them, including a child, were arrested in Jerusalem.
- Israeli authorities continued to create a Jewish majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
- The Israeli Law Enforcement Department handed a notice to al-Sabbagh Family in order to evacuate their residential building, which shelters 5 families, including 45 members, in al-Shaiekh Jarrah neighborhood.
- Israeli authorities continued their settlement activities in the West Bank.
- Israeli forces demolished a house in al-Fasayil village, north of Jericho.
- 1200 forest tree seedlings were damaged, a civilian vehicle sustained damage and a human rights activist sustained wounds.
- Israeli Forces continued to open fire at the fishing boats in the sea.
- 2 Palestinian fishermen were arrested in addition to confiscating their fishing boats.
- Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose the illegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 12th consecutive year.
- 103 permanent checkpoints, 103 temporary checkpoints and 14 closed roads obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.
- 15 civilians, including 2 children, were arrested at the military checkpoints in the West Bank.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (10 – 16 January 2019).
In the Gaza Strip, the Israeli forces continued to use lethal force against the participants in the peaceful protests organized along the Gaza Strip borders, which witnessed the peaceful protests for the 42nd week along the eastern and northern border area of the Gaza Strip. In the Gaza Strip, the Israeli forces killed 2 Palestinian, including a child and woman, and wounded 143 civilians, including 34 children, 3 women, 3 journalists, and 3 paramedics. The injury of 3 of those wounded was reported serious. In the West Bank, the Israeli forces wounded 7 civilians, including 2 journalists and a paramedic in separate shooting incidents.
In the Gaza Strip, On 11 January 2019, the Israeli forces killed Amal al-Termasi (44) from al-Sheikh Redwan in Gaza City after she was hit with a bullet to the head at approximately 15:50. At the time of being wounded, she was around 200 meters away from the border fence between the Gaza Strip and Israeli in eastern Gaza City.
At approximately 05:00 on Monday, 14 January 2019, medical sources at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, declared the death of ‘Abdel Ra’ouf Salhah (13) from Block 8 Street in Jabalia refugee camp, succumbing to wounds he sustained in the northern Gaza Strip in 11 November 2019. The above-mentioned child was directly hit to the left side of his head with a teargas canister, causing acute bleeding and laceration in the brain in addition to a swelling. As a result, he was taken for treatment in al-Shifa Hospital, where he stayed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) until his death was declared.
As part of using excessive force against the peaceful protesters along the Gaza Strip borders, during the reporting period, Israeli forces wounded 143 civilians, including 34 children, 3 women, 3 journalists, and 3 paramedics. The injury of 3 of those wounded was reported serious.
The full report is available online at:
*Office Hours are between 08:00 – 16:00 hours (05:00 GMT – 13:00 GMT) Sun – Thurs.