Ministry of Housing’s Plans for the West Bank – March 2009
Web link: http://www.peacenow.org.il/site/en/peace.asp?pi=61&docid=3566
Full Report: http://www.peacenow.org.il/data/SIP_STORAGE/files/1/4041.pdf
Settlement Watch Team
The Ministry of Construction and Housing is planning to construct at least 73,300 housing units in the West Bank
An examination of the data available on the Israeli government Website (http://www.govmap.gov.il/) that contains maps and information from the Ministry of Housing, reveals that in plans for the West Bank at least 15,000 housing units have already been approved, and plans for an additional 58,000 housing units are yet to be approved.
This Peace Now report is based on this data published on the official government website.
However the plans published are only a small part of the overall housing plans for the Occupied Territories, there are other thousands of housing units in plans of the local authorities, private initiators and other public authorities, all of which we are in the process of collating.
- Total number of housing units in the published plans – 73,302, out of which, 5,722 are in East Jerusalem
- Total number of housing units in approved plans – 15,156, approx. 8,950 of which have already been built.
- Total number of housing units in planning stages – 58,146.
- If all the plans are realized, the number of settlers in the Territories will be doubled (an addition of approx. 300,000 persons, based upon an average of 4 persons in each housing unit).
- In Gush Etzion (Bethlehem area) 17,000 housing units are planned in areas outside the existing settlements.
- At least six (6) outposts are included in the Ministry of Housing plans (Magen Dan, Givat Hadagan, Givat Hatamar, Bnei Adam, Bat Ayin West, Hill 26).
- There are plans for huge construction to double the size of some settlements, including: Beitar Illit, Ariel, Givat Ze’ev, Maaleh Adumim, Efrat and Geva Binyamin.
- Approx. 19,000 housing units are planned in settlements that are beyond the constructed path of the Fence (Kiryat Arba, Karnei Shomron, Ariel, Geva Binyamin, Immanuel, Revava).
- The plans in the settlements constitute 22% of the total housing units that are in planning stages in the Ministry of Housing.
See http://www.ochaopt.org/gazacrisis/ for Gaza reporting from OCHA and other agencies.
See http://www.logcluster.org/gaza09a for Logistics Cluster home page for Gaza
Humanitarian Affairs Officer
UN OCHA, Occupied Palestinian Territory
mobile: +972 (0) 54-331-1820
office phone: +972 (0) 2-582-9962
fax: +972 (0) 2-582-5841