14 February 2012 — PCHR – Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
PCHR Holds Urgent Consultative Meeting Addressing the Case of Palestinian Detainee in Israeli Jails, Khader Adnan, Who Is on Hunger Strike
In the context of its efforts to follow up the issue of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, and its interest in the their detention conditions, on Tuesday afternoon, 14 February 2012, the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) held an urgent consultative meeting in its Head Office in Gaza City, with families of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, defenders of prisoners’ rights and representatives of Palestinian factions.
The meeting aimed at considering possible means to support Khader Adnan, a Palestinian detainee in Israeli jails who has been on a hunger strike since 18 December 2011, protesting being placed under administrative detention and subjected to inhuman treatment in Israeli jails. The meeting also discussed possible ways to exert pressure on the Israeli occupation authorities to release him as soon as possible as his health conditions may deteriorate further.
At the end of the meeting, the participants formulated a number of recommendations:
1. Writing a letter to Mr. Raji Sourani, Director of PCHR, and requesting him to deliver it to the Secretary General of the League of Arab States in Cairo, calling on the Arab League and the international community to launch a wide campaign to exert pressure on the Israeli occupation authorities to release Khader Adnan;
2. Inviting Palestinian nationalist and Islamic factions to participate in activities on Wednesday, 15 February 2012, in front of the ICRC Head Office in Gaza City, considering the day as a national day to support Khader Adnan, calling on leaders of participating factions to join the hunger strike from 08:00 to 18:00 in solidarity with him and maintaining a solidarity campaign with him throughout the period of his hunger strike;
3. Calling on the media to pay special attention to the case of Khader Adnan, and to the deteriorating detention conditions of all Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails;
4. Initiating joint efforts of Palestinian, international and Israeli human rights organizations to exert pressure on the Israeli occupation authorities to release Khader Adnan;
5. PCHR will hold a workshop addressing the tragic conditions of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails and their repercussions, inviting prisoners’ rights advocates, human rights defenders, and representatives of civil society on local and international levels, as well as Palestinian nationalist and Islamic factions.
For more information please call PCHR office in Gaza, Gaza Strip, on +972 8 2824776 – 2825893
PCHR, 29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip. E-mail: email@example.com, Webpage http://www.pchrgaza.org
If you got this forwarded and you want to subscribe, send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
and write “subscribe” in the subject line.