9 March 2021 — USRTK
Planning documents for the United Nations Food Systems Summit 2021 shed new light on the agenda behind the controversial food summit that hundreds of farmers’ and human rights groups are boycotting over its dominance by agribusiness interests.
You can read the documents here: The next neocolonial gold rush? African food systems are the ‘new oil,’ UN documents say
The documents call for a radical transformation of Africa’s food systems, one being decided by a narrow set of self-interested actors including the World Economic Forum and the Gates and Rockefeller foundations, with little input from food movements who say ecological health, biodiversity and human rights should be at the center of food systems negotiations.
This is the third article in our series about Bill Gates and the Gates Foundation. See also:
- Why we’re tracking Bill Gates plans to remake our food systems
- Bill Gates plans to remake our food systems will harm the climate
Excerpt from The Monsanto Papers: Island Press shares the first 20 pages of Carey Gillam’s new book here. “It is a story of corporate malfeasance on a grand scale – a chilling revelation of the chemical industry’s greed, arrogance and reckless disregard for human life and the health of our planet,” says Phil Landrigan, MD, founding director of Boston College’s Global Public Health Program. Hear Carey on the WORT radio show A Public Affair.
The Disinformation Chronicle: Investigative journalist Paul Thacker published, “A candid conversation with the Broad Institute’s Alina Chan, on being labeled a conspiracy theorist, realizing science writers are failing, and why we need to find out how the COVID pandemic began.” See also Thacker’s interview with Harvard Professor Naomi Oreskes, co-author of Merchants of Doubt (part 1, part 2, part 3).
More public health news of the week:
- ‘Consider chemical hazards’ in the baby foods you sell, FDA warns manufacturers — CNN
- Diplomats warned of a coronavirus danger in Wuhan 2 years before the outbreak — Politico
- How to avoid the toxic kitchen chemicals that could damage your fertility — Washington Post
- Farmers and rights groups boycott food summit over big business links — The Guardian
- PFAS in pesticides: ‘A problem of epic proportions’ — E&E News
- The WHO needs to start over in investigating the origins of the coronavirus — Washington Post Editorial Board
If you like our work, please donate here.
For our right to know,
Carey, Gary, Sai, Stacy