17 May 2018 — PCHR
(10 – 16 May 2018)
- Israeli forces continued to use appallingly lethal force against Palestinian peaceful protestors in the Gaza Strip.
- In another bloody week, 46 Palestinian civilians, including 7 children and a wheelchair-bound man, were killed.
– 2024 Palestinian civilians, including 328 children, 74 women, 20 journalists and 5 paramedics, were wounded.
– 62 Palestinian civilians, including 5 children and 2 women, were wounded in the West Bank.
- Israeli warplanes targeted an agricultural land in the northern Gaza Strip, and many border control checkpoints. However, no casualties were reported.
- Israeli forces continued to open fire at the border areas in the Gaza Strip.
- Israeli forces conducted 91 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank and 7 similar ones in Jerusalem
– Israeli forces conducted 5 limited incursions into the Gaza Strip amidst shooting, wounding 3 civilians, including a woman,
– 123 civilians, including 13 children and 3 women, were arrested.
– 52 of them were arrested in Jerusalem.
- The Israeli authorities continued to create a Jewish majority in occupied East Jerusalem
– a Plot of land was confiscated in al-‘Issawiyah village
- Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose the illegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 11thconsecutive year.
– Dozens of temporary checkpoints were established in the West Bank and others were re-established to obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians.
– 5 Palestinian civilians, including a child, were arrested at the military checkpoints in the West Bank.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (10 – 16 May 2018).
Israeli forces continued to use excessive lethal force against Palestinian civilians, who participated in peaceful demonstrations organized within the activities of the “Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege” in the Gaza Strip, which witnessed peaceful demonstrations along the eastern and northern Gaza Strip border area. On Monday, 14 May 2018, on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakbah, the Gaza Strip witnessed the activities of the Great March of Return early declared by the Supreme Authority of the Return, and ten thousands of Palestinian defenseless civilians participated, including women, young men, children and elderlies. On that day, the Israeli forces excessively and appallingly used lethal force against the peaceful protesters. As a result, dozens of Palestinian civilians were killed while hundreds were wounded; many of them sustained serious wounds, including a PCHR’s volunteer fieldworker. During the reporting period, the Israeli forces killed 46 Palestinian civilians, including 7 children and a wheelchair-bound man. Moreover, they wounded 2,024 Palestinian civilians, including 328 children, 74 women, 20 journalists and 5 paramedics; 135 of those wounded are in serious condition. In the West Bank, the Israeli forces wounded 62 Palestinian civilians, including 5 children, 2 women and 2 journalists, in separate incidents.
The full report is available online at:
*Office Hours are between 08:00 – 16:00 hours (05:00 GMT – 13:00 GMT) Sun – Thurs.