14 November 2018 — PCHR
(08 – 13 November 2018)
New Israeli Military Esclation in the Gaza Strip:
– The Israeli warplanes carried out dozens of airstrikes, launching 197 missiles at civilian buildings and military sites belonging to Palestinian Armed Groups.
– 2 Palestinian civilians were killed and 20 others were wounded, including 5 children and 4 women.
– Many civilian facilities, residential houses, and security sites were targeted and completely destroyed.
- Israeli forces continued to use excessive force against unarmed civilians and peaceful protestors in the Gaza Strip
– 2 Palestinian civilians were killed.
– 152 civilians, including 22 children, 11 women, and 4 paramedics, were wounded.
- Israeli forces wounded 17 Palestinian civilians, including 9 children and a paramedic, in the West Bank.
- Israeli forces conducted 65 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank, and arrested 18 civilians, including 4 children.
– 53 civilians, including 11 children and a woman, were arrested in the West Bank.
– 10 of them, including 7 children, were arrested in Jerusalem.
- Israeli authorities continued to create a Jewish majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
– A house and a room were demolished in addition to foundations of another house in al-Za’im village, east of occupied Jerusalem.
- Israeli forces continued their settlement activities in the West Bank.
– Settlers slashed tires of 17vehciles in Kafr al-Deek village, west of Salfit.
- Israeli Forces continued to open fire at the fishing boats in the sea, but no casualties were reported.
- Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose the illegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 12th consecutive year.
– 103 permanent checkpoints, 96 temporary checkpoints and 15 closed roads obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.
– 3 children were arrested at the military checkpoints in the West Bank.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (08 – 13 November 2018).
During the reporting period, Israeli forces killed 4 Palestinian civilians, including 2 killed during their participation in the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege Protests while the 2 others were killed during the escalation the Gaza Strip witnessed in the middle of the week. Moreover, the Israeli forces wounded 172 civilians, including 27 children, 15 women and 4 paramedics. In the West Bank, a person wounded succumbed to his wounds while Israeli forces wounded 17 Palestinian civilians, including 9 children and a paramedic.
The Gaza Strip has witnessed a military escalation, where the Israeli forces have unprecedentedly used warplanes and artillery shells since the 2014 offensive on the Gaza Strip. This escalation has started after an Israeli special undercover unit “Mista’arvim” infiltrated the day before yesterday, 11 November 2018, Khan Younis in the Southern Gaza Strip and killed 7 members of the Palestinian armed groups, mainly a commander in al-Qassam Brigades from Khan Younis, creating a state of maximum alter among the Palestinian armed groups and tension among the Palestinian civilians. This undercover operation was followed by barrages of rockets launched deep into the Israeli towns adjacent to the Gaza Strip. Since Monday afternoon, 12 November 2018, and until the reporting period, upon a decision by the highest Israeli military and political echelons, the Israeli forces carried out intense airstrikes against many civilian facilities and residential houses in addition to sites belonging to the security services and others to the Palestinian armed groups, launching at least 40 missiles. The Israeli artillery shelling also targeted the areas adjacent to the border fence with Israel. Due to the hostilities, 2 civilians were killed and 20 others were wounded, including 5 children and 4 women in addition to the destruction and severe damage in many residential houses, other civilian facilities and security sites.
As part of using excessive force against the peaceful protests along the Gaza Strip borders, on 08 November 2018, the Israeli forces killed Mohammed Abu Sharbin (20) from Rafah City after wounding him with a bullet that hit his upper chest and exited his back during his participation in the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege protests in eastern al-Maghazi in the central Gaza Strip. On 09 November 2018, the Israeli forces killed Rami Qahman (28) while participating in the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege protests in al-Shawkah village, east of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip after being wounded with a bullet to the neck.
In the same context, during the reporting period, the Israeli forces wounded 152 civilians, including 22 children, 11 women, and 4 paramedics. Three of those wounded sustained serious injuries.
The full report is available online at:
*Office Hours are between 08:00 – 16:00 hours (05:00 GMT – 13:00 GMT) Sun – Thurs.