24 June 2011 — Stop NATO
- U.S. AFRICOM Chief Defends Drone Missile Attacks In Libya
- NATO Headquarters: Bloc’s Number 2, Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Discuss Libya War
- Cuba Reiterates Need For Cease-Fire In Libya
- Netherlands Extends Libya War Role By Three Months
- EU Sanctions Are Declaration Of War: Syrian Foreign Minister
- Baghdad: NATO Trains Senior Iraqi Military Leaders
- Afghan Officials Say NATO Killed Farmers
U.S. AFRICOM Chief Defends Drone Missile Attacks In Libya
Wall Street Journal
June 23, 2011
U.S. General Opposes Bill to Curb Airstrikes
By Julian E. Barnes
WASHINGTON: The senior U.S. commander for Africa said a Republican-sponsored bill that would block American Predator drone strikes in Libya would hurt the North Atlantic Treaty Organization alliance.
Gen. Carter Ham, the head of Africa Command, said the impact of the legislation, if it becomes law, would extend beyond the NATO-led effort against forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
The bill would allow the military to provide refueling, intelligence collection and other support, but would cut off funding for airstrikes, including those by the drones the U.S. currently deploys in Libya.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a pitch to a closed-door meeting of Democrats on Thursday, aiming to shore up support for continuing the current U.S. role in Libya. A poll of Democrats leaving the meeting suggested that her appeal had bolstered supporters and created some sympathy even among Democratic critics.
Gen. Ham predicted that NATO would be unable to replace certain key U.S. missions, including the drone strikes and attacks to neutralize Libyan air defenses that threaten allied planes, if proposed funding cuts are made.
Africa Command oversaw the early stages of the attacks in Libya, before handing operational control to NATO. Although Gen. Ham no longer has day-to-day responsibility for the war, the command still provides intelligence assets and other forces for the operation.
The U.S. ended its own offensive airstrikes with the NATO handover, but continued attacks against Libyan air defenses. Last month, the Pentagon announced it would begin conducting limited numbers of strikes by Predators.
—Siobhan Hughes contributed to this article.
NATO Headquarters: Bloc’s Number 2, Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Discuss Libya War
North Atlantic Treaty Organization
June 23, 2011
NATO and Iraq discuss further cooperation
The NATO Deputy Secretary General, Ambassador Claudio Bisognero, and the Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister, Mr. Rowsh Noori Sideq Shaways, met today at NATO Headquarters in Brussels.
They discussed the current training activities led by the Alliance in support of the Iraqi Security Forces and the possibility of expanding cooperation in that field.
They also exchanged views on possible areas of future long term cooperation between NATO and Iraq such as Counterterrorism, Capacity Building of the Defence Sector and Energy Security in the context of the Strucutre Cooperation Framework.
Ambassador Claudio Bisognero and Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister also spoke about the NATO current led mission in Libya in implementation of the United Nations Security Council’s Resolution 1973.
Cuba Reiterates Need For Cease-Fire In Libya
June 22, 2011
Cuba Reiterates Need for Cease-Fire in Libya
-Benitez described as unacceptable ‘the growing tendency of the Security Council to rush to threaten coercive action or to authorize it in certain cases, while remaining silent, indifferent and inactive in others.’
United Nations: Cuba on Wednesday reiterated its call for an immediate halt to military operations in Libya and for the start of a dialogue so that the Libyan people can peacefully solve their differences without foreign intervention.
The NATO bombings of Libya ‘are killing the very civilians they are supposed to protect,’ said Rodolfo Benitez, the Cuban alternate representative to the UN.
Benitez spoke during a General Assembly session that passed a resolution on strengthening the role of mediation for peaceful conflict resolution and prevention.
In Libya, NATO is unjustifiably using its most modern deadly weapons, without having exhausted diplomatic channels or other peaceful means, Benitez said. War, confrontation, hostility and sanctions never have and never will be the way to preserve international peace and security, the Cuban diplomat said, highlighting the importance of dialogue and negotiations.
Neutrality, equality, impartiality and the full consent of all parties involved are basic conditions for effective mediation, which must respect international law and the UN Charter, Benitez said, emphasizing the principles of sovereignty, territorial integrity and non-intervention in internal affairs.
He also warned that no peaceful conflict resolution method would be successful ‘as long as certain states continue using or threatening to use force against the territorial integrity or political independence of others.’
Benitez described as unacceptable ‘the growing tendency of the Security Council to rush to threaten coercive action or to authorize it in certain cases, while remaining silent, indifferent and inactive in others.’
Netherlands Extends Libya War Role By Three Months
June 23, 2011
MPs support longer Libya mission
Parliament has given its final approval to extend the Dutch contribution to the NATO mission in Libya. In the past few months, the Netherlands has helped enforce the no-fly zone over Libya and the UN arms embargo.
The Dutch participation in the mission has now been extended by three months. Coalition parties VVD (conservatives) and CDA (Christian democrats), and opposition parties PvdA (Labour), the democrat party D66, the Green Left party and the Christian Union were all in favour.
The Green Left party voted against the initial deployment in March, but says there is now more clarity about the objectives, strategy and means of the mission. According to Green Left MP Mariko Peters, ‘This is important to a small country that has little or no say in the decisions taken by the leading countries. What is important is that now there’s more of a focus on a political solution and a post-conflict plan. And that civilian victims will receive compensation, and physical damage will be paid for once the smoke has cleared.’
The Socialist Party and the Freedom Party – which provides parliamentary support to the VVD-CDA minority cabinet – voted against the extension.
On Thursday afternoon, parliament will vote on a proposal by D66 leader Alexander Pechtold which would bar the cabinet from any involvement in efforts to help suspected Libyan war criminals escape trial at the International Criminal Court. The proposal has the support of a majority in parliament.
EU Sanctions Are Declaration Of War: Syrian Foreign Minister
Voice of Russia
June 23, 2011
EU sanctions are a declaration of war – Syrian FM
The Syrian government views the introduction of EU sanctions against the country’s leadership as a declaration of war. This came from Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem in Damascus. The Syrian leadership will not tolerate any meddling in the country’s domestic affairs, including military interference, the country’s top diplomat said.
Syria has seen a several-month-long stand-off between the opposition and the government…
Assad faces massive international pressure. The French consider that he has lost legitimacy and must step down. The US shares this view, since in the context of their upcoming withdrawal from Iraq, only a changed Syrian regime can ensure the security of their interests.
The UN Security Council is vigorously debating a resolution on Syria that would be quite similar to that on Libya, in order to intervene militarily. A draft document has been introduced by France, the UK, Germany and Portugal and received US support. The search is on for a reason to interfere in Syria’s domestic affairs. President Assad is accused of using violence against his people. This is actively promulgated by western propaganda and when events in the country led to bloodshed, and Syrian refugees entered neighbouring Turkey, western media were quick to pick up unconfirmed information about the barbaric conduct of Assad’s law enforcers.
Baghdad: NATO Trains Senior Iraqi Military Leaders
NATO Training Mission – Iraq
June 19, 2011
NTM-I trains senior Iraqi military leaders
Baghdad, Iraq: A one-day course in ‘The Development of Education and Training’ for Iraqi Security Forces senior representatives was conducted by NATO Training Mission – Iraq’s Training, Education and Doctrine Advisory Division officers in the Iraqi Defence University for Military Studies (also known as the National Defense University) on 12 June 2011.
Iraqi Armed Forces Deputy Chief of Staff for Training, sLt. Gen. Hussein Dohi and sMaj. Gen. Salim Jasim Hussain, President of the Iraqi Defence University for Military Studies, along with nearly 30 general and senior officers from across the Iraqi MOD directorates, and the single service commands, attended the course.
After sLt. Gen. Hussain opened the day by emphasizing the importance of learning from other militaries, Brig. Mark Pountain, of the British Army and NTM-I, welcomed the attendees. Pountain delivered a short overview of the contemporary approach to training development and highlighted the UK systems approach to training and how it compared to the Iraqi system.
During the course NTM-I advisors Col. Anders Borgesen, Maj. Jason Hurndall and Maj. Katie Yardley delivered presentations on the Systems Approach to Training, including the training authorities’ responsibilities and purpose, the need for planning as well as the approach to training analysis and evaluation.
NTM-I advisors and Iraqi Armed Forces generals talked over the recommendations on how to further implement development of a fully integrated Iraqi Training, Education and Doctrine system. They also identified the necessary changes required in the current training process and organization to effectively meet the operational needs. SLt. Gen. Hussain agreed to NTM-I delivering a number of courses on the Systems Approach to Training.
NTM-I Deputy Commander, Maj. Gen Claudio Angelelli also visited the course. He commented that the course topics had encouraged such open debate of the significant issues. Additionally, he stressed the importance of developing a fully integrated training system.
…In the near future, NTM-I TEDAD will conduct several week-long courses in training education management for Iraqi officers, all designed to help further develop the Iraqis’ fledgling Training Management system…
The NATO Training Mission in Iraq (NTM-I) was established in 2004 at the request of the Iraqi Interim Government under the provisions of UN Security Council Resolution 1546. The aim of NTM-I is to assist in the development of Iraqi security forces training structures and institutions…
The Training, Education and Doctrine Advisory Division (TEDAD) is one of the key output divisions of the NATO Training Mission – Iraq. Its Mission is to assist the Government of Iraq in building effective Iraqi-led security forces through:
Advice and training support across the National Defence University (NDU) and all subordinate organizations to develop the officer education and training system.
Advice and training support to Iraqi senior enlisted personnel training
Planning and execution of out-of-country training events and coordination of NATO equipment donations in order to contribute to the development of self-sufficient, sustainable and effective Iraqi Security Forces.
TEDAD consists of approximately 45 personnel from 10 different countries and is led by a British Brigadier. The Division has 3 Branches:
– Officer Education and Training Advisory Branch (OETAB)
– Non-Commissioned Officer and Battle Staff Training Advisory Branch (NCO/BST)
– Training and Equipment Synchronization Cell (TESC)
Afghan Officials Say NATO Killed Farmers
Pajhwok Afghan News
June 23, 2011
Afghans, ISAF differ over two killed in Laghman
By Obaidullah Bidar
MEHTARLAM: Afghan officials and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops differed over two people killed during an airstrike in the Alingar district of eastern Laghman province on Wednesday night.
Local officials and residents said the two killed were farmers and were killed by foreign troops while irrigating their fields in the Wat Jabbar village. ISAF insists the dead were armed militants.
The district chief, Syed Mohammad Sharif, on Wednesday said the helicopter-borne foreign troops raided the house of a farmer, Sher Mohammad Sahibzada, killing his two sons, Mohammad Aziz and Abdul Qahir.
Sharif on Thursday said the matter had been taken up with the provincial intelligence department. He said intelligence operatives had told him the two were not on the list of wanted individuals.
Abdul Aziz Khan, who is also resident of the district, said that foreign troops had killed two farmers, who had no relation with the Taliban…