24 April 2019 — extinction/rebellion
Extinction Rebellion will voluntarily end the Marble Arch and Parliament Square blockades tomorrow (Thursday). There will be a closing ceremony at 5pm 25 April at Speaker’s Corner, Hyde Park.
We will leave the physical locations but a space for truth-telling has been opened up in the world.
We would like to thank Londoners for opening their hearts and demonstrating their willingness to act on that truth.
We know we have disrupted your lives. We do not do this lightly. We only do this because this is an emergency.
Around the planet, a long-awaited and much-needed conversation has begun. People have taken to the streets and raised the alarm in more than 80 cities in 33 countries. People are talking about the climate and ecological emergency in ways that we never imagined.
This space for telling the truth has opened because of the tens of thousands of people who have participated, and the more than 1,000 people who have willingly sacrificed their liberty to block – with peaceful and joyful nonviolent resistance – five high profile locations in central London:
- Marble Arch – This is an Emergency
- Oxford Circus – Tell the Truth
- Waterloo Bridge – Act Now
- Parliament Square – Beyond Politics
- Piccadilly Circus – The Heart where Extinction Rebellion Youth blocked the roads.
We offer gratitude to all the truth-tellers who have played a role in this extraordinary phase of the rebellion – whether it is those who have put their bodies on the line, provided arrestee support, cooked for thousands of people, kept the sites cleaned, performed on stage, as well as those currently in prison awaiting trial.
We also thank Greta Thunberg for her visit and the pivotal role she has played in putting the future of young people at the heart of this international movement for change.
The time for truth telling has begun
Now it is time to bring this telling of the truth to communities around London, the regions and nations of the UK, and internationally.
In this age of misinformation, there is power in telling the truth.
We all need to look within, recognise our own power, and face what is happening together.
Last November, 6,000 people came together on five bridges in central London and then decided to go back to their communities and spread the truth around the world. This April International Rebellion has seen tens of thousands take part.
It is now time to go back into our communities, whether in London, around the UK or internationally. This movement is not just about symbolic actions, but about building the necessary resilient and regenerative culture that the world needs now.
The truth is out, the real work is about to begin. The International Rebellion continues.
Expect more actions very soon.
Get involved in Extinction Rebellion’s other events
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out
- Start a group where you are – locally in the UK or in your country around the world
- Find your local group: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11jUqqjTHMThksd4KbvGGzb3I3Cr3PkBl&usp=sharing
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites
- We are holding Collaborative Leadership Calls to help coach people to improve their leadership skills and capacities
- And while your time and energy are the most important things, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Fundrazr crowdfunder.
Notes to editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
UK website: https://rebellion.earth/
International website: https://xrebellion.org/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR hashtag #ExtinctionRebellion
Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion; whilst the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.