28 April 2021 — Consortium News – Declassified UK
A wide-ranging UK government campaign was brought to bear on Ecuador to press it to hand over WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange, new information by Declassified UK reveals.
- Prime minister Theresa May was told in March 2018 to ‘butter up’ Ecuador’s president in order to get Assange out of Ecuadorian embassy in London
- Later in the year, May’s government spent £20,000 to bring Ecuadorian officials and defence minister to UK
- British foreign minister arranged Daily Mail hit piece on WikiLeaks publisher days after his eviction from the embassy
- Same minister gave Ecuador’s president a plate from Buckingham Palace gift shop to ‘say thank you’ for handing over Assange
- National security adviser Richard Moore, now head of MI6, was in Ecuador two weeks before Assange was expelled from embassy
By Matt Kennard