5 October 2009 – 10 October 2009 — CUBA 50
Cultura y Cubania, coinciding with Black History Month, will be a week-long cultural event celebrating the richness of Cuban culture.
Taking place in prestigious London venues such as, Canning House, Bolivar Hall and Conway Hall, it showcases the work of some of the best Cuban Artists living in the UK today as well as that of important Cuban cultural figures.
Music – Dance – Photographic Exhibition – Videos – Lectures – And More
website – www.culturaycubania.com
- Mon 5 October 6.30-9pm – Festival Launch and Photographic Exhibition, Canning House
- Tue 6th-Fri 9 October 2-6pm daily – Photographic Exhibition – ‘A Few Streets, A Few People – Pocas Calles, Pocas Peronsas’, Canning House
- Tue 6 October 7-8.30pm – Afro-Cuban dance workshop with Ariel Rios and guests, at Nueva Costa Dorada
- Wed 7 October, 7-8.30pm – Rumba dance workshop with Ariel Rios, followed by the Cuban salsa party until late, Nueva Costa Dorada
- Thu 8 October, 6.30pm – Film screening ‘Los Hijos de Baragua ~ My Footsteps in Baragua’ introduced by Eva Tarr, Director of the London Latin American Film Festival, Canning House
- Fri 9 October, 7pm – Film screening ‘Raza – Race’ followed by debate and seminar ‘The Symbolism of Race in Cuba Today’ by Cuban writer and journalist Pedro Perez Sarduy, Bolivar Hall
- Sat 10 October, 6.30pm-midnight – Festival Grande Finale with the debut performance of London’s new Cuban dance company CubanaDanza, plus live music from Mestizo (Ahmed Dickinson trio), Cuban Combination, and Kid Afrika. Cuban DJ and much more!, Conway Hall
Cultura y Cubania is organised by Cubacheche www.cubacheche.co.uk