Friday, 26 August 2022 — RootsAction
We’re forwarding information from the Don’t Extradite Assange Campaign.
The national Surround Parliament demonstration on Saturday 8 October is fast approaching. We need the largest possible turnout so we are asking for your help. We already have roughly one half of the 5,000 links needed in the human chain that will surround the Houses of Parliament!
- Take our human chain pledge and share it with others.
- Download and print our flyer/leaflet.
- If you are a member of a trade union/council, political party, campaign, community organisation, NGO, tenant’s group, church, mosque, synagogue, or other, please take this model resolution (below) and get your organisation to adopt it.
- This organisation notes:
- The imprisonment of Julian Assange in Belmarsh high security prison.
- The attempt by the US government to extradite Julian Assange for revealing the truth about the Iraq and Afghan wars, and about Guantanamo bay.
- The US government attempt to use the 1917 espionage act in order if convicted to imprison Assange for a 175 year sentence.
This organisation believes:
- That a free press is essential to the proper working of a democratic society.
- That Julian Assange revealed material that was wholly in the public interest.
- The Julian Assange should not be extradited to the US and the charges against him should be dropped.
This organisation resolves:
- To affiliate to the Don’t Extradite Assange campaign.
- To support the ‘Surround Parliament’ national demonstration on Saturday 8 October in support of Julian Assange.
- To publicise this event to our members and supporters and to encourage them to attend.
- Where possible to assist with transport to the protest.
- To send the banner of our organisation where such exists