The killing of Libyan rebel military commander General Abdel Fattah Younes could lead to a violent split inside anti-government forces and comes as a major rebel offensive is failing to produce significant gains prior to the onset of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan in August when extremely hot weather and all-day fasts makes warfare very difficult and slow.
July 29, 2011 — COHA
This analysis was prepared by COHA Research Associate Jennifer Nerby
- Twenty Salvadoran soldiers await trial in Spain for crimes against humanity perpetrated during the Salvadoran Civil War.
- The extradition of war criminals to be tried under the Spanish judicial system draws attention to profound weaknesses in Salvadoran trial.
- A growing number of Salvadorans are beginning to show unease that the nation’s moderate President Mauricio Funes will move the country beyond the social causes of conflict in the 1980s.
30 July 2011 — Stop NATO
- NATO Armored Vehicle Kills Child, Injures Seven Other Afghans
- Mongolia: U.S. Leads NATO, Asian NATO Allies In Military Exercise
- America’s Africa Partnership Station In East Africa
- Call To Expand American Counterinsurgency Operations In Philippines
- U.S. Military To Be Based In Australia To Confront China
- U.S. Could Upgrade Polish Warships For Baltic Sea
- Bulgaria: Pentagon Continues Upgrading Military Bases
- U.S. Uses Romanian Air Base To Supply Afghan War
30 July 2011 — Al Jazeera
“Prince Walid bin Talal bin Abdelaziz Al-Saud, the second biggest shareholder in News Corporation after Murdoch, recently gave an interview, on his yacht, to the BBC flagship programme Newsnight. The Saudi prince declared himself “a good friend” of Rupert Murdoch and his son James Murdoch (probably the next executive to be charged by the police in the scandal). He defended both men briskly, but in doing so drew attention to the fact that he is the second biggest shareholder in the Murdoch empire, and that the Murdochs were major shareholders in his own Rotana media empire in the Middle East. An unholy alliance, surely? Mr Murdoch is the co-owner, with Prince Walid, of Fox News – one of the most virulently anti-Muslim television stations in the world. The station gives a megaphone to the likes of Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly and Sarah Palin. In the US, Fox’s role was to throw gallons of petrol on the flames Islamophobia which were leading to the burning of the Holy Quran by vigilantes.” Read the full article here
29 July , 2011 — VTJP
Settlers Attack Internationals With An Iron Bar
IMEMC – Friday July 29, 2011 – 12:12, Three settlers from the illegal West Bank settlement of Havat Maon harassed three Palestinian shepherds and attacked two internationals observers near Mesheha hill. The masked settlers threw stones at the internationals as well as hitting one of them with an iron bar on the head.
30 July 2011 — HLLN
Recommended HLLN Link: Cholera Haiti Whitewashing by Georgianne Nienaber, June 14, 2011, LA Progressive http://bit.ly/qsThpN
Zili Dlo: Clean water for everyone in Haiti — Zili Dlo: Dlo pwòp pou tout moun — How can YOU help? – http://bit.ly/Zili_Dlo
We just received an urgent SOS from the area of Port De Paix (North western) Haiti on a severe cholera outbreak. Our info is that so many people in that City have taken ill and are dying that there’s no place to even hospitalize all who are sick and dying. Medical help is insufficient. Ezili’sHLLN has been prevailed upon to mobilize media interests in this on-going but neglected tragedy.
30 July 2011 — Strategic Culture Foundation
A US-Iran pantomime over Iraq
30.07.2011 | 10:25 | Melkulangara BHADRAKUMAR
Al-Qaeda’s virulent Wahhabi, anti-Shi’ite ideology is sheer poison for Iran…The US has sought and obtained Iran’s acquiescence in its strategies in Iraq ever since the invasion in 2003…The “pro-West” Persian Gulf states are terrified of Shi’ite empowerment, for which they blame US misadventure in Iraq. On the other hand, Israel is hopping mad that it faces regional isolation and Obama isn’t resolute about vanquishing Iranian influence, especially in next-door Egypt, which used to be Israel’s playpen. And, of course, Israel dreads to think Iran may gain direct access to the Levant via Iraq…
29 July 2011 — Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting
Here’s some of the week’s best media criticism from the FAIR Blog
- Obama’s Right-Wing Plan to Win the Center
- Diallo Speaks: Are There Holes in the ‘DSK Case Crumbles’ Narrative?
- Tom Friedman’s Radical Center, 2012 Edition
- For Beck, Norway Shooter Wasn’t Right-Wing–Though His Victims Were ‘Hitler Youth’
- ABC’s Drivel About ‘Partisan Rancor’
- What WaPo Won’t Tell You About CIA’s Yemen Drone Base
- Friedman’s Dream: If Only We Had a President Like Obama
- Iran Helping Iraqi Insurgents…Make That Al-Qaeda
- Where Does Press Set Bar for Bachmann?
- Robert Samuelson: We Have Met the Enemy, and He Is Old